Stage 1 - Segedunum to Heddon-on-the-Wall

As I recreate the distance of the Hadrian's Wall path on my current daily walk at the Tyne Riverside Country Park - I'm also looking back on my photos from my walk along the actual wall in 2005.

Segedunum

I started my East to West, Hadrian’s Wall Path Challenge on the 23rd April 2005 at  the Roman Fort of Segedunum, Wallsend on the River Tyne. A modern centre and museum has been built to accommodate the many visitors.

I took still photographs and video footage throughout the six stages of my walk and was ably supported by my darling wife Ann for the whole adventure.


Then I reached the Shipyards 


The initial stage of the walk follows the River Tyne rather than take walkers through the city of Newcastle upon Tyne. Therefore the Wall that remains at Denton on the West Road do not feature in the itinerary.


My first refreshment stop after a two hours of walking was at the Copthorne Hotel on the quayside at Newcastle. I joined my darling wife Ann, much to the surprise of the staff, for tea and sandwiches.

The riverside walk ended near Ovingham with a walk up to Heddon-on-the-Wall where extensive wall remains are visible. This was the end of my first stage of the walk and I had walked the 14.9 miles in 5 hours and 40 minutes.

On my simulated walk starting on the 12th June 2021  I estimate I reached this stage on the 27th June after fifteen morning walks. If you'd like to sponsor me on my current walk - you can find the link here.


Comments