The Bridge of Fives or Pennies from Heaven

L-R - Gordon McIntosh (Big G), Stan Wilson, unknown

I have been walking every day to raise money for Cancer Research UK for over a year now. I have met many new friends en route and I’m so grateful for their kind words, conversation and company. The bag I carry with me contains a multitude of items, including;

Water for the warmer days,
A rudimentary first aid kit,
Dog biscuits,
And sweets for the children I meet (and I realise it’s not terribly wise or appropriate to offer sweets to children). I remember offering some sweets to one little girl and her Mummy suggested I bring applies next time, she was a dentist! So I dutifully carried apples for a number of weeks.

On my walks I wear a T shirt supplied by Cancer Research UK to raise awareness of their brilliant work. My son, Ross, also got me a great personalised jacket for the colder mornings.


Through my walks I’ve also been introduced to Park Runs. These are a brilliant initiative, on Saturdays for there is the Senior Run and the Junior run is on Sunday. I have recently started volunteering as a Marshall for both events and I love getting involved. I’m sure if these runs had occurred years earlier, I would have been a regular and I would have introduced my children, Alison and Ross to them as well. I particularly like watching the start of the Junior event. The children are encouraged to do warm-up exercises and it’s great to see their dedication and determination. The massed start is a sight to behold and most are so keen that they set their watches to record their times.

I am often asked why I am walking and how people can donate to Cancer Research UK. Many kind folks offer me cash and I always ask the individuals name so I can attribute donations to individuals by name. My son Ross acts as my publicity agent and supplies me with posters to share the amount raised which I display on the notice board at the Prudhoe Riverside Park, which is the starting point of my daily walks.

The strangest donation to date occurred quite recently. My walking route takes me along the banks of the River Tyne from the Prudhoe Riverside Visitors Centre and Cafe. I thus pass under the road and pedestrian bridges linking Prudhoe with Ovingham. 

I was returning from my morning walk and was passing under the pedestrian bridge when a gentleman called down to me and said 

“Are you the chap walking for Cancer? “ 
“Yes!“ I replied. He proceeded to throw down a five pound note from the bridge which floated down to me on the gentle breeze.

Several comments spring to mind, Bridge of Fives or Catch me if you can.

My interest in running blossomed at senior school. I had started playing football and wanted to improve my fitness, so I started running around the school field in my spare time. I could not sprint but I discovered I had a natural ability for middle distance events I.e. the Half-mile 880yards and the mile 1760 yards.

Surprisingly I became the school champion in both events in my final year at school. I well remember the School Sports Director bringing out the School Inspectors to see me running around the track. My hero’s were Roger Bannister and the Russian General Emil Zatopec.

I have gained a certain notoriety with my walking as Cancer Research have had  published articles concerning my walks in the local papers, the Evening Chronicle and the Hexham Courant. Imagine my surprise when an ex-work colleague from 55 years ago saw the press release and contacted me. We have since had a coffee together. All of these events have come about by me walking for Cancer Research.

My walks continue and I am always on the lookout for new fund raising ideas,  I wonder what will be my next unusual donation method will be.
You can support me and donate to Cancer Research UK via this link 

Thanks to your generosity the current total is £2,639.87

Comments