My Love of Running

I loved playing football and on Saturdays, I represented the School, albeit in the second eleven, on a morning and then cycled to Newton Aycliffe  for my second game in the afternoon. 

This team was organised by school friend Stanley Wilson’s dad, and it played in the Darlington Junior League. So more often than not I was exhausted by my Saturday efforts and decided to improve my fitness by running. It became so natural to me that in the last two years at King James the First Grammar School I was the half mile  and mile champion. In those days I ran in spikes which were obtained for me by my PE and Sports Teacher, Les Rawe. I used to ask for permission to run around the school field in all weathers during PE lessons so I was always in a peak running condition. The PE teacher, during school inspections, used to bring out the visiting inspector to see me running around the track. Being six foot and rather lean I had a long stride. My heroes were Roger Bannister and Emil Zatopec.

I was entered in the Durham Inter School Sports with the outcome being to represent the County in the mile event at the White City. I remember waiting to start the race at Feethams, the Darlington football ground. A fellow runner pointed out someone and said 'watch him' he does it in 4 minutes 30 seconds. As my best time was 5 minutes plus I was slightly dismayed.  However I did my best and finished third and consequently not good enough to represent the County.
My “Chariots of Fire “ moment came later. I used to run for Darlington Harriers as a junior so this particular evening I turned up and they asked me to compete in a Senior Relay to help qualify for points. I duly got the baton last and set off in pursuit. My  friends really thought I was going to catch up but it was not to be.

I always thought if I had been 'discovered' and coached, as it were, I would have done much better at running. On leaving school and having to travel to work, my enthusiasm dwindled.

Fast forward many years I now attend ( as a volunteer ) local Senior and Junior local Park Runs and reminisce accordingly. I also love following my grandson, Alasdair, who is a keen runner and has completed 10 Marathons! Happy Days, now what did I do with my spikes? Maybe I could donate them to a museum!

Comments