A Veteran's Remembrance Weekend

Being a regular at the Prudhoe Riverside Cafe, which I attend after cheering on the Park Runs (Seniors on a Saturday and Juniors on a Sunday) I was intrigued one Saturday to find the adjoining room to the cafe fully occupied. As a curious fellow, I ventured in and found it was a Service Veterans Meeting. As a veteran myself I was made very welcome by Catherine, the lady organising the event and was promptly invited to order a breakfast. I enjoyed chatting with the other ex-service personnel and made many new friends. I attended subsequent meetings and was overwhelmed and honoured to be asked to attend the local Remembrance Day Ceremonies in Prudhoe especially as I would be carrying the Veteran's Wreath.

On Saturday 11th November I attended the ceremony at the commemorative area known as The Glade, just off Prudhoe High Street. A wreath was laid by Charlie, a veteran himself, and the Last Post was played by a veteran bugler.

For my National Service I served in the Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry from 1955 to 1957. Our days were marked and measured by the sound of the bugle, including Parades, Reveille, Meals, Mail and the Last Post,  it was an evocative and very moving experience to witness the playing of the Last Post at the Ceremony in Prudhoe, and it was made even more specials as my friend Tracy Stanforth, recorded it for me. 

The local  MP, Mayor and other dignitaries were in attendance for the ceremony and a photoshoot, and Tracy also took a lovely photo of myself in front of the Poppy display.

The next day was even more impressive, I was to be pushed in a wheelchair by my friend Steve Stanforth (Tracy's husband) in the Remembrance Day Parade carrying  the Veteran's Wreath. Tracy had previously expertly sewn on my Regimental Badge to my blazer and I had acquired a beret and cap badge. I often join Tracy and family on Cancer Research Fund raising events. I had previously collected the wheelchair and stored it in the car boot.

As is usual I turned up in good time at the Legion car park in Prudhoe and met up with Steve. The formation of the various components taking part in the parade was organised and eventually the veterans section followed the Pipes and Drums up out of the Legion carpark onto the High Street. It was very moving to see so many people lining the street as I was pushed along by Steve with me carrying the Veterans Wreath.

We subsequently marched the length of the High Street to the turn off for the Church where the crowds were the most dense. We formed up outside of the Church where the vicar welcomed us and the Silence was observed and the Last Post expertly played.

The wreath laying was in rotation and when called, I was assisted to the Lynch Gate of the Church by a young serviceman to lay the Veterans Wreath. When the wreath laying was complete we all attended a moving service in the Church. It was heart warming to see the young ones handing in their flags and banners for the vicar to display. The young ones then sat on the ground just in front of the Veteran's Pew which was at the front of the Church.

After the Service the Parade formed up again for the march back to the Legion Car Park. We duly arrived at the carpark and my mobile parade was over. I thanked Steve for all his efforts.

The Legion was full of parade participants both young and old. Catherine supplied me with liquid refreshments and I settled down with the other veterans. Surprisingly for such a large gathering, soup, hot dogs and sandwiches were thankfully provided as it had been quite chilly on the Parade.

Suitably fortified Catherine took me to meet a local historian Len Franchetti who was interested in my scrapbook Diaries I had kept throughout my national service.

So ended a very moving and proud day culminating in me carrying a wreath on behalf of my fellow Veterans. My special thanks and appreciation go to Clan Stanforth and everyone involved in the event.

Comments