Heddon-on-the-Wall to Chollerford

Roman Altar Stone -
St Oswald's Church, Heavenfield
As I recreate the distance of the Hadrian's Wall path in my current challenge to raise money for Cancer Research UK, I'm also looking back on my walk along the actual wall in 2005.

You can sponsor me on my current walk via this link.

The second stage of my walk in 2005 took me from Heddon-on-the-Wall to Chollerford a distance of 15.2 miles. I reached stage Two of my simulated walk on the Riverside on the 13th July 2021. The actual walk took me to Matfen passing over a legion of stiles, where my darling Ann was waiting with welcome refreshments. Suitably refreshed I then carried on  to Heavenfield and finally Chollerford. I had walked for 7 hours 55 minutes.

Fellow travellers


This stage of the walk ended near the bridge at Chollerford, where there is a convenient refreshment area and a retail outlet. Ann prematurely bought me a Hadrians Wall Path Tee Shirt which I still have to this day and proudly wear. It is also near to the George Hotel where the wedding reception for daughter Alison and husband Robert took place in 1985, heralded by a Northumbrian piper. We found it amusing that some of Alison and Robert geographer friends had difficulty finding the venue!

Now I have two grandsons Andrew and Alasdair and I'm enormously proud of them both. Andrew is currently working in Germany having graduated from York, whilst Alasdair, who graduated from Cambridge, has just returned from working in Poland and is currently in quarantine. He is a keen runner and may come up  and complete a stage with me (walking I hasten to add) at a later date.

So it was time for Ann to transport me home, "I’ll have a nice relaxing bath" I thought and later found I had great difficulty getting out of it!

After recovering it was time to plan the next stage.

The George at Chollerford - happy memories of Alison and Robert's wedding reception 



Comments