Chollerford to Steel Rigg

The third stage of my walk in 2005 took me from Chollerford to Steel Rig, a distance of 12.0 miles.

I reached stage three of my simulated walk on the Prudhoe Riverside on the 24th July. 


Now let's go back to 2005. From Chollerford the path climbs up to Black Carts where a substantial section of the wall is apparent. This is real Roman Wall country. 

Brocolitia
I reached the Roman fort of Brocolitia after two-hours of walking. As before, my darling Ann followed my progress by car, often with difficulty, with frequent meet ups for welcome refreshments.


Brocolitia
One anomaly occurred when I was approaching the popular visitors centre at Houseteads Fort. I could see Ann clearly by binoculars but because of the undulating nature of the terrain it seemed to take an age to reach her. I eventually reached Houseteads after 3 hours of further walking!


Housesteads

One amusing incidence occurred after leaving the fort as I was traversing a rather precipitous section above Crag Lough. I was not very used to a mobile phone but as I was walking alone we thought it wise to carry one. Ann chose to check my progress at the most difficult section above Crag Lough. After the initial shock I managed to reply OK (without falling in)!

I finally reached Steel Rigg, the end of this stage of my walk after almost seven hours of walking through some very difficult terrain. It was a pleasure to see Ann and after recovering I was driven home with loving care to fight another day.



And just to finish off, here's a photo taken of me my the Steel Rigg sign in August 2021. Taken by Ross on a trip to The Sill.





Comments