UPDATED "I want to ride my bicycle..."

Wow I was really obsessed with my DIY bike, although DIY wasn’t a relevant abbreviation in those days. I even asked my Mum, a  Seamstress, to make me a shoulder bag, which I asked her to embroider with BLRC. This supposedly stood for British League of Racing Cyclists. Don’t ask me if such an organisation existed but it  made me feel good!

I used to travel to the Grammar School on my bike and frequently met up with friends at Rossi’s Ice Cream Parlour. This was at the corner of Newgate Street and opposite was the Eden Theatre which Stan Laurel’s father used to manage (That's Stan Laurel of Laurel and Hardy). The road passed Rossi’s led to the Kingsway. Off which was the home of the famous Bishop Auckland Amateur Football Club, who shared the ground with the local cricket team. Nearby was King James I Grammar School , Stan Laurel’s old school. These are all potential future blog subjects.

Rossi's Ice Cream Parlour

I remember a young Police Officer examining my bike outside of Rossi’s. "It’s only got one brake." he commented. I explained  the braking potential of the fixed wheel and he seemed happy enough.

I met two cycling enthusiasts at School, Ken Curtis (very studious) and Graham Fairless (very athletic) and they suggested I joined them on a proposed trip to Scotland staying at Youth Hostels. I’m not sure how my Mum funded me but I agreed to join them. As I had recently gained an interest in running my Gym Master had supplied me with a tracksuit which I wore for the Youth Hostelling trip. It was emblazoned with KJGS on the rear of the top. I remember someone in Scotland asked me if I was from Kilmarnock as a result of the K on my tracksuit top.

So we set off from Bishop Auckland on a summer evening for and we were quickly riding in the dark which was quite scary for me with my fixed wheel gear, although we did have lights. Anyway I survived and we stayed at Ninebanks Youth Hostel in Hexhamshire. 

Ninebanks Youth Hostel

I’m afraid the itinerary for the onward route to Scotland trip long gone from my memory. My only recollection is the return journey across the border back into England. At Carter Bar not being able to coast with a fixed wheel gear I rather stupidly took my feet out off the “rat traps “ on my pedals. This meant that my descent was uncontrolled, so I had to rapidly get my feet back into the rat traps to regain control. Wow quite a relief to do so. 

So ended my visit to the McIntosh Homeland with friends who are unfortunately no longer with us.

Carter Bar

UPDATE!

Since writing the blog - Dad has found a postcard that he sent to his Mam from the cycling trip!



The postcard was sent from Fincastle, Pitlochry and looks to be dated April 1952.

On the postcard Dad has written

"Dear Mam

We stayed Wed night at Alston as arranged, but on Thursday we stayed at Auchen Castle near Moffat. On Friday night we stayed at Monachyle.

It rained most of the day Sat but we reached Fort William alright. Strathtummel on Sunday. Prob be home Tues night.

Love Mac"

How amazing is that! We need to try and work out the miles next!

Comments