"Ridin' along on my pushbike, honey"

I like to think Ross’ love of cycling is inherited from me, let me tell you why.

Big G on Seymour Street

I was brought up by my dear Mum in Bishop Auckland, we lived at 59 Seymour Street. I loved my "sit up and beg" bike but yearned for better things. So, as an entrepreneur in the making I started doing a paper round before school to raise funds. The newsagents shop was on Cockton Hill Road opposite the bus stop for Darlington.
It was also near Elliot’s Garage, who were one of my customers.

I used to take my bike with me. Firstly, just to help carry the heavy bag of papers, which was worse at the weekend, even though there were no supplements in those days. And secondly, once all the papers had been delivered I could ride back from my furthest delivery point, which was on the road to St Helen’s West Auckland.

The paper round also generated other fund raising spin-offs as I was asked by one old gentleman on my round to cut his grass - using shears not a lawnmower! I remember being totally surprised at Christmas time when my grateful customers kindly gave me monetary gifts. I was at a loss as to what to say.

Having made cycling friends at the King James I Grammar School which I joined at 13+ having  failed the 11+ exam, I quickly became knowledgeable about cycle parts and mechanics and decided to use my paper round funds to build my own racing cycle.
The Famous Reynolds 531 Tubing

I somehow acquired a cycle frame with 531 tubing, which was an essential but I couldn't tell you why now! Gradually I assembled the rest of the bike but rather than expensive multiple gears I opted for a fixed wheel arrangement. I also opted for one brake, as the fixed wheel gear also assists braking.
So I was set for adventures new.

Watch this space for the next instalment!

This isn't Dad's bike shop - but it is the Bike Shop at Beamish - the living museum of the North

Comments