Return of the Mc-Intosh tartan kilt!


In 2011 whilst I was a volunteer with Action on Hearing Loss I was invited by the Duchess of Northumberland to attend Alnwick Castle to celebrate the work of volunteers. The Queen was also to be in attendance. 

Fast forward many years for my second visit to Alnwick  Castle. This came as a complete surprise. As a result of my fund raising walks for Cancer Research and the ensuing publicity by the Hexham Courant I was nominated as a Community Hero by Councillor Holly Waddell and invited to attend a function on Coronation Day at Alnwick Castle. I was able to take three guests. As my son Ross was able to come over from Spain, this quickly filled one position. Fellow walker and fund raiser Tracy Stanforth made up number two position, Whilst Tracy’s daughter Abi made up position number three. 

Tracy kindly drove us to Alnwick on Coronation Day for an early start, We were able to unload at the Castle gates whilst Tracy parked the car nearby. 

As a nominated hero we gained immediate VIP access and we bagged an excellent position on the grass surrounding the castle and with a good view of the giant TV screen which was playing scenes from the pre Coronation preparations.

I couldn’t wait for the Picnic, but managed to restrain myself until after the Community Hero presentation. Ross had stopped off at M&S on his route home and had brought numerous provisions and I had brought numerous goodies. Drinks were purchased locally.

We went into the large hall and stood in line to be presented to the officials, who were:

  • Mr John Lovett, Deputy Lieutenant
  • Councillor Trevor Cessford, Civic Head of the County Council
  • Councillor Jeff Watson, Cabinet Member for Healthy Lives
  • Councillor Glen Sanderson, Leader of the County Council

I was presented with my Hero Pin and commemorative certificate and was duly presented to the Council Officers with Ross. They Councillors were impressed by my efforts and fundraising and we had an official photograph taken, as well as some photos by our own personal photographers, Tracy and Abi!

Now Ross, in a brilliant statement, had brought the McIntosh family kilt from Spain and wore it for the occasion. I had worn it ironically on my last visit to Alnwick Castle but had since outgrown it. A marvellous gesture for which I was very grateful. Luckily for Ross it wasn’t a windy day!

We then settled in to watch The Coronation on the giant TV screen and it was being enjoyed by the many flag waving families around the green. Whilst the weather was fine it was a bit cool at first and Tracy’s blanket was very welcome. It warmed up later. It wasn't long before we started the picnic and it was delicious.

It was a marvellous occasion to witness and take part in. After a very enjoyable day Tracy drove us safely back home. A very memorable day and many thanks for being nominated to attend.


Comments