My Roman Restoration Project

Many years ago I was employed as an Energy Consultant and I visited many Local Authority Establishments carrying out Energy Surveys. On one survey at a local leisure centre I was enjoying a cup of tea with the resident engineer in the boiler house when I noticed a substantial metal support for what once had been a glass topped table for the cafe. Ever watchful for DIY projects I asked if the framework was for disposal. My friend the engineer affirmed that it was and I hastily put the frame into my boot of my car.

It took a while for the project to develop. Our kitchen floor had been covered with carpet tiles for many years which was not ideal. So my darling wife Ann suggested we investigate ceramic floor tiles. So on our outings we selected sample tiles for consideration. When we finally decided on a plain Floor tile I was left with a myriad of decorative floor tile samples. So rather than waste my extensive collection of decorative tiles the idea of a mosaic tiled table for the garden was born. 

I made a circular wood top for the table  and moved the assembly into the garage.
I bought a tile cutter and cut the floor tiles into usable pieces and set about designing the layout. I can safely say that no final design was not anticipated it just grew . I started from the outside of the circular top and worked my way to the centre. It must have taken months to complete and I would have kept details of my progress, which have been lost long ago.

So at long last the table was fully tiled and positioned in the garden at the rear of the house. It became a well loved feature of the family and we had many happy gatherings around it. 

At one time in need of attention the mosaic table top was removed and stored upright outside in the garden for a number of years. Ever watchful for DIY projects and with the house more or less ship shape I decided to reinstate the table. As it had been neglected for years I found that the wood backing had rotted and had to be removed. This I carefully did and was lucky to find the the tiles were mostly undisturbed. I decided to used rapid set cement to secure the tiles from the underside this I did but this process made the table top very heavy.



Luckily I saw a young unsuspecting council worker at the front of the house , so unabashed I asked the young man to help me with a heavy lift in the rear garden for £10. He willingly came to the rear or the house and help me reposition the heavy table top on its frame. Needless to say he wouldn’t take the £10.

Despite my care some some tiles had been disturbed and that is the current situation. I’m now awaiting finer weather to complete what has been a labour of love with the encouragement of the whole family. Watch this space.


Comments